Monday, December 5, 2011

Monday Blue Jays Notebook

DID ALEX ANTHOPOULOS bring his A-game to Dallas? We shall see. The Blue Jays need pitching, and if the walls of the Hilton Anatole could talk, they'd share stories of Alex talking up prospects Nestor Molina, Travis d'Arnaud, Adeiny Hechavarria and others. The Toronto GM told reporters that Chad Jenkins and Deck McGuire (and others) are "on the cusp" of reaching the majors, which tells me he's looking to shop a package of youngsters for a proven big-league arm.


The Cubs have been fielding questions on Matt Garza, who is among the best starting pitchers being shopped around at Winter Meetings. Memo to AA: dangle Adeiny and one of your stud catchers (Travis d'Arnaud, A.J. Jimenez, Carlos Perez) in exchange for Garza. I realize the Cubs have Starlin Castro at SS, but Theo can flip Adeiny elsewhere.


In other news, Molina isn't fazed about recent discussions of him becoming a reliever. That's not the long-term plan, but I envision Molina earning a 2012 midseason callup, and then pitching from the bullpen to log some experience. In '13, he'll be in the starting rotation ... "I don't care if I'm a starter, reliever or closer. The most important thing is to be in the big leagues. That's my goal. I'm just looking for my opportunity, and I'm very sure I'm going to get that," Molina told me over the weekend. "I believe in myself. I've been working hard for three weeks (in Valencia, Venezuela) to get in good shape for spring training and to give a good surprise."


Prince Fielder to Toronto? I don't see it. I think that's wishful thinking and speculation generated by Fielder and his agent, who are the Blue Jays are likely to increase spending by as much as $50 million in 2012. 

No comments: